How COVID-19 has Impacted my Mental Health


As many of us know, the coronavirus pandemic has been an a terrifying time for everyone! The pandemic has been a difficult time all around the world and for many, this pandemic has brought out a lot of different changes, emotions and hardships. Today I will be talking about how the pandemic has impacted my mental health and about what I have been doing to try to cope during these difficult times.





The Impact of COVID-19 on my Mental Health 


For myself, the pandemic have impacted my mental health in so many ways.  For those of you who don’t know, I have generalized anxiety disorder. Generalized anxiety disorder is a disorder where a person experiences chronic anxiety about many different things in their life and that interferes with normal functioning. I generally worry and have anxiety on a daily basis about my health, relationships, school, finances and much more. It can be exhausting. Ever since the start of the pandemic, my anxiety has been so much more intense and frequent throughout the day. My anxiety has gotten much worse including my daily worries and with my fears of my worse case scenarios coming true. With anxiety related to pandemic, I have experienced: 

  • Extreme irritation and frustration 
  • Paranoia 
  • Panic attacks 
  • Sleeping problems 
  • Constant worry 
  • Fear of the unknown and of change 

It has been challenging to say the least. Usually, I am able to ground myself with my anxiety  but it has been hard with all of the news reports, uncertainty, and panic. I fear the worse not just for the world, but for the future along with the lives of many families. My family and friends especially. Sometimes I am even scared of leaving my house. 😓

Along with anxiety, I have experienced a lot of grief. I feel grief about all of the things that I and many others are going through and have lost. I grieve for those who are sick and to those who have lost loved ones, jobs, celebrations and many other things that each of us had before this pandemic and lock-down.

This grief I feel has impacted my mental health. Especially with staying home by myself more often. It has been hard with my classes at university and with my job opportunities gone. It has also been hard not seeing my loved ones and with seeing the world being so heavily impacted.
I have experienced so much stress, confusion, physical exhaustion and loneliness especially from all of my feelings of grief. I try my best to cope with how I am feeling during these difficult times.


The Ways I am Coping for my Mental Health 


There are many ways I have been trying my best to cope. Some days are better than others. Other days, it is just really hard for myself. Here are some different ways I have been trying to cope for my mental health! I am not suggesting that this is how you should be coping as not everyone copes the same way and that’s okay. I share these strategies of mine in hopes that it can let you know that you aren’t alone through this difficult time. We are all in this together, one day at a time. 

Here are some of the things that I have been using to cope: 
  1. Virtual video chats, calls and texts with friends
  2. Online volunteering 
  3. Online mental health chats and support
  4. Journaling about my feelings and what I am grateful for 
  5. Painting, crafts and colouring 
  6. Going out for walks 
  7. Local, online support groups in my area 
  8. Meditating and muscle relaxation exercises  
  9. Trying new hobbies (video games for the win)
  10. Reading
  11. Limiting my time on social media and with the news 

For myself, I have found emotional relief by chatting online and on the phone with my friends! I also feel a sense of accomplishment when I try out new hobbies, when I stay active and when I participate in local, online volunteering opportunities. Currently I volunteer as a trained active listener with 7cups which has been so rewarding! Journaling about my feelings and writing down what I am grateful for everyday has helped me so much. As well, I feel relieved when I reach out to online mental health support chats and support groups. Overall, my coping strategies have been very useful including with reducing my time on social media which has really helped my anxiety.





By no means am I an expert when it comes to mental health, coping and self care. Each person has different ways of dealing with stress and with expressing their emotions especially during this pandemic. And that is okay! It is completely normal to feel scared, confused, angry and any other way you are feeling right now.

Question for you! How have things been for you since you since the start of the pandemic? What are some ways that you have been coping and with looking after your mental health? Feel free to comment and let me know your thoughts. I am always open to hearing your feedback. Thank you for reading and know that you are valued very much as a person. I hope that everyone stays well and safe! Look after yourself 💓💓



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Creating a Self-Care Plan is Crucial

What Recovering from Depression has Taught Me

50 Ways to Cope with Anxiety